piatok 16. septembra 2016

PERKS OF BEING A HITCH-HIKER

There’s not a situation that man can’t handle. There are only some of them, which are harder to deal with than the others. The longer I am on the road, only me and my backpack that much more pretty uncommon things became a normal to me. I stopped thinking about sleeping on a gas station as an adventure, I have accepted the fact that people are just strange and what’s normal for you don’t have to be normal for them as well and I gave up fighting with that funny feeling of disorientation and despair that come when your plans reach their end or just turn up to be useless.  It’s not that I don’t feel the excitement anymore. I do. I just made that feeling familiar.

Anyway, from the worst ideas and most uncomfortable situations are the best stories to tell… once.


We went to Aarhus that day. I was about to take a plane the next day and they went with me just because. To enjoy the feeling of being a hitch-hiker. Slávka and Meya. Cool girls really. Two out of the Kolding group which I found to be like a second home to me these days. (I think it’s not the last time I am mentioning one of them.)


Sun was shining, Aarhus is not that far and it seemed to be a really good idea. Well it could have been. But sometimes, not everything goes according to your plans. That’s why I always say that making plans is worthless.

It was nice, to spend some more time with them before I would stay alone one more time. Lost in Aarhus without an exact idea what I am going to do now. I didn’t really know where I was going to sleep, or how was I going to go to the airport which turned out to be one hour ride from Aarhus. If that’s not enough, nothing was open for 24 hours in that city, except the train station. I have to admit, I started to feel truly hopeless. I called Slávka to check if they have already reached Kolding. No answer. Ok.. boring long night was about to start.

The phone rang. Girls were calling me back. I was sure they’re going to tell me they had just arrived home.

“How was your journey? “

“We’re in Aarhus.”

That does not give any sense. I am in Aarhus. They can’t be. I watched their car leave two hours ago.

“You mean you are still on the way? “ I tried the most reasonable option.

“No Marta! We are in Aarhus. We met some creepy guy and he was driving us across the city for two hours. “

I wasn’t able to understand much more than this, as she was talking quite in a rush and …. Laughing? I hoped that was a laugh not a sob. Well I think she was still in a shock from whatever happened.

“We just came to the train station.”

“Great that’s where I am!”

Approximately two seconds later I was stucked in a big group hug. I was glad to see them again but… it was sometime around 10 PM, dark outside, trains were a way too expensive and they both had a school the next day. 

The guy that took them was a good person who really wanted to help. At least that’s what they understood from his speech. Unfortunately, he wasn’t able to speak any of the languages that are Slávka and Meya capable to understand. And let me just say that they are quite skilled in this area.
He really wanted to take them to Kolding, but he needed to change a car for a smaller one…. From which he didn’t have a key. Happens. So why not to invite them for a pizza instead. And show them where he’s working…. And whole city from all sides and angles.

“He was really a nice guy though. Just different.” – Meya seemed to be more chilled about the situation. She looked only a bit tired.  

“So why didn’t you ask him to let you out at some point? Still in Aarhus, but it wouldn’t take you those two hours at least.”

“I did. I asked him to do that after every sentence he said.” Objected Slávka angrily. She still sounded a little bit shocked. I can see why. There was like 50% chance that they would get home tonight and that’s when we look at it really positively. Well she did not.

“I will get you back to Kolding!”

Will I?  It’s definitely not a good idea to hitch-hike during the night. Or at least it’s impossible to do so by standing beside a road. No one would see you there and if they did, they wouldn’t stop. The only way was to find a gas station and ask there. If there would be someone to ask at this late hour.

It’s not that easy to find a big gas station, 24 hours open, placed in a good direction. It’s not that easy to find a good direction either. Anyway, with some help, we did.

His name was Locki. Yes, exactly. Like from Marvel’s comics. He was from Iceland and I am mentioning him because he made us forget about our unpleasant situation for a moment. He took us to highway gas station (those are the best) somewhere near Horsens. That’s half a way to Kolding. I enjoyed that ride, however, I am not sure if he did. This time we were the creepy ones. He’s probably not advised to name his future son Thor on a daily basis.

But whatever. We were on a great place to continue. So we made a little break to calm ourselves. There’s not a better time for a chocolate than in the middle of the night and there’s no better place than somewhere on a Danish highway.

There was a big chance that someone would take those two directly to the Kolding. That would mean I´d stay here. Not a bad place to spend a night. The first try wasn’t successful, although it seemed to be at the beginning. German driver changed his plans (or they were changed by some other person) at the last moment and he had to drive back instead of driving through Kolding. Never mind. Half an hour later Slávka found a driver. Lorry driver. He agreed to take two people with him. Only problem was, that he had to make a break on a way there to pick up his cargo or something like that.

“Can take two hours. Then I’ll continue your direction. “

Girls decided to go anyway.

I am waving them one more time. I hope that´s the last one for a couple of weeks. I have my own way to go. Tomorrow I have to get to an airport back in Aarhus.

Stories with happy ending are boring to read, I know, but I am quite happy that I can end this one like that. You know, after all I am part of it. Who wants their own story to have a bad end. Even if that would be more dramatic.
Something around 3 AM Slávka announced their arrival home. The driver didn't go directly to Kolding but they managed to get there so they anyway and I am proud of them. I had a relatively good sleep and managed to get to the airport in a good time the next day and despite the busy night that we just went through; we will still hitch-hike for a new stories and adventures. All three of us I believe.

 Welcome my new colleagues. Welcome in a life on the road.







Žiadne komentáre:

Zverejnenie komentára